How to set up your microphone permissions
If are unable to record a new name through the name request form, it is possible that your microphone permissions are not enabled.
To fix that, please do the following steps according to which device you are using:
For iOS users:
1. Open Settings and swipe down and tap on Privacy
2. Next tap Microphone, toggle on the PNP app to have access to your microphone
For Mac users:
1. Select System Preferences from the Apple menu.
2. Click the icon labeled Security & Privacy.
3. Click the Privacy tab at the top.
4. In the lefthand column, click on Microphone to manage app permissions.
5. Tick the boxes next to apps for which you’d like to grant access to the mic.
For Android Users:
1. Open Settings and tap on Apps.
2. Next tap Permissions, then Microphone, toggle on the PNP app to have access to your microphone
For Windows users:
1. Open your Windows Settings and select Privacy (scroll down a bit).
2. In the left panel, scroll down and select Microphone.
3. Once there, you'll see a toggle under the "Allow apps to access your microphone", make sure this is on.
4. Scroll down a bit more and make sure that the toggle under ''Allow desktop apps to access your microphone'' is on as well.
After doing those steps you will be able to use your microphone within our app! Should you have any issues on this matter, please contact us at HERE and our elves will be more than happy to help you sort this out!
Can we do better? Let us know how here.
Having trouble taking photos on the mobile app
If you are having trouble taking a picture with your camera when creating a video, we recommend to try the following steps to see if that resolves the issue for you:
1. Check to make sure you have the newest version of the App
2. Check to make sure you have the newest OS version for your device
3. Make sure you have at least 1 GB of free space available on your device
4. Log out of the App
5. Clear the App data and close it entirely
6. Reopen the App and log back in
7. Turn off and restart your mobile device
If this doesn't help, please uninstall and reinstall the App, and if the problem is still happening after all of this, please contact us at HERE and our elves will be more than happy to help you sort this out!
Trouble accessing the PNP website?
Firstly, the mobile application is always available on your phone or tablets!
If you are experiencing trouble accessing our website this year, please make sure the web browser version you are using is located in one of the green cells below:
Your Windows version must also be up to date or you may encounter a maintenance page instead.
For Windows XP or Windows 7 users, please make sure all updates have been done.
If you are not using an official Windows license, this can also lead to issues with Windows being up to date.
Lastly, if you are using the anti-virus Avast, having the Web shield setting enabled can also make our website inaccessible.
How do I take a screenshot?
If you need to contact the elves, a screenshot can be a big help!
Here are Apple's instructions for taking a screenshot on iOS: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT200289
Here are Google's instructions for taking a screenshot on Android: https://support.google.com/android/answer/9075928?hl=en
Here are Microsoft's instructions for taking a screenshot on a Windows PC: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/13776/windows-10-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
Here are Apple's instructions for taking a screenshot on a MAC: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201361
How do I clear my browser's cache?
To learn how to clear the cache on Firefox, please click the following link:
To learn how to remove stored cookies and data from Safari, please click the following link:
To learn how to remove stored cookies and data from Edge, please click the following link:
To learn how to clear the browsing data on Google Chrome for Android, please click on following link:
To learn how to clear the browsing data on Google Chrome for PC and/or Mac, please click on following link:
To learn how to clear the browsing data on Google Chrome for iOS, please click on following link:
How do I download the latest versions of Internet browsers?
How do I enable cookies on my browser?
For Safari: https://support.apple.com/kb/ph21411?
For Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences
For Google Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
Which devices are compatible with the PNP mobile app?
The PNP mobile app works on Android 7.0 and up, and on iOS 13.2 and up. You'll always want to make sure that the PNP app is up to date.
Any device versions earlier than this cannot be guaranteed to run the PNP app without crashing or other issues. However, you should always be able to use our website, www.portablenorthpole.com.
If you're running a device and version that should be working and are still running into trouble, please contact the elves HERE, with as many details as you can:
- Are you on Android or iOS and what version
- What model is your device
- A screenshot of the problem
How do I update the PNP mobile app?
For Apple devices:
- Open the App store and log in.
- Tap your profile icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down to see “Pending Updates”
- Tap “Update” next to the PNP app
If you don’t see the “Pending Updates” tab but see “Updated Recently” only, then this means that all your apps are up to date.
For Android devices:
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- Tap Menu Menu and then My apps & games.
- Apps with an update available are labeled Update.
- Find PNP and tap Update.
Note: We recommend that you also turn on auto-updates.
How do I find the version of my PNP mobile app?
The version of the app can be found at the top of the settings menu, it will look similar to this: v4.6.1 (4559). To open this, go to the Parent's Corner and tap on the gear in the top right corner.
How do I update my mobile device?
For iOS devices, here are Apple's instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/ht204204
For Android devices, here are Google's instructions: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en
How do I check the version of my computer?
If you are using a Windows computer, please follow the instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/13443/windows-which-operating-system
If you are using a Mac computer, please follow the instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201260
How can I prevent PNP emails from being rejected or undelivered?
1. When an email is filtered into your spam folder, click “Not Spam” to notify your email service of the error.
2. Add the PNP domain to your safe sender's list.
3. Check your spam or junk mail folders periodically.
For more information on spam settings for major email providers, please check the links below.
For Gmail click HERE.
For Outlook.com (Formerly Hotmail) click HERE.
For AOL click HERE.
For Yahoo click HERE.
Address not found when creating a video
We use google maps for this function in our videos, so it may be an issue on their end. Please look up the address you want to use on Google maps, and copy it over exactly the way they write it.
Why can't I upload photos/pictures on my iPhone or iPad?
Due to some issues with iOS 11 and the way that photos are being handled on iOS devices, some users may have trouble uploading photos to PNP. We can suggest the following options to help fix the problem
- Uninstall and reinstall the PNP app, make sure you're on the newest version.
- Make sure that you have the most recent OS version for your phone installed.
- Make sure that your photo is on your device's local storage, and not in cloud storage. If possible take the photo with your camera instead of picking from an album.
- Try the same photo again, some users have had success the second or third time they have tried the same photo.
- Try a different photo.
If this doesn't work, you will need to go to portablenorthpole.com to create your video, but once it is made you will be able to access it in the PNP app. If nothing listed above works, please contact us HERE.
Can we do better? Let us know how here.
Why doesn't my video have any sound on my mobile device?
Please double check to make sure that your device isn't on mute mode?
On iPhones, there's a switch near the volume buttons that controls this, and while some app videos such as youtube will still work when mute mode is on, our videos don't. If you're on a tablet, you can check this by swiping up from the bottom of the screen.
You'll also want to ensure that your Media volume, in particular, is set high enough.
Lastly, if this doesn't prove successful, try going to 'Settings', tap 'Sounds', and under 'Ringer and alerts' toggle 'Change with Buttons' to off (not green).
You can find Apple's instructions for this process here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208353
If this didn't help, or if you're using an Android device, please contact the elves HERE, and make sure to let them know what steps you've tried already.
You didn't find the answer or solution you were looking for in our FAQ?Ask the elves!